> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Medical Malpractice > When receiving a cortisone shot in my lower back, the doctors punctured my sciatic nerve. Would I have a valid medial malpractice suit?

When receiving a cortisone shot in my lower back, the doctors punctured my sciatic nerve. Would I have a valid medial malpractice suit?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 09th, 2017 on Medical Malpractice - Wisconsin
More details to this question:
I have daily buttocks and leg pain. I have to bring ice packs with me everywhere I go. Sitting on the ice packs helps to lessen the pain. I am also on nerve and pain medication daily. My doctor and I have tried everything from acupuncture to nerve blocks at the pain management clinic in Madison, WI. to help the pain. He says all we can do now is to hope that the nerve heals someday.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Medical malpractice cases are exceedingly difficult to pursue and win in Wisconsin. I wrote a blog pointing out the difficulties in a blog last year at our web site under personal injury issues. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did an excellent article about the difficulties as well either in 2015 or 2016 that you can google and read. There are many reasons as to why lawyers are not pursuing medical malpractice cases in Wisconsin anymore, but the two main reasons are the (a) caps on damages and (b) the likelihood that going to trial will result in a jury verdict in favor of the physician. 9/10 cases are lost at trial to the juries finding no negligence against the physician or hospital.

If you feel strongly that you were harmed, gather up all of your medical records and have them reviewed by a malpractice lawyer. If they they think there is some substance to your case, they will hire an outside medical consultant to determine if you have a viable case. The statute of limitations is 3 years in Wisconsin; failure to file a lawsuit from the date of the occurrence within the three years would forever bar your malpractice claim.

David B. Karp Karp & Iancu, S.C. 933 North Mayfair Road #300 Milwaukee, WI 53226 414 453 0800

Report Abuse
Medical Malpractice
Have you been injured as a result of a doctor, nurse or other healthcare provider's mistake, misdiagnosis or professional negligence? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries under your state's medical malpractice and personal injury laws. Medical malpractice claims can arise from a doctor's failure to diagnose a health condition, misdiagnosis, medication error, negligent behavior or mistake during childbirth that causes birth defects. Medical malpractice attorneys can review your medical records and help determine whether your have grounds for a lawsuit. If appropriate, your lawyers can file a lawsuit, attempt to negotiate a settlement on your behalf and represent you during trial, if a settlement can't be reached.
Have an Medical Malpractice Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

351 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

156 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

102 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

100 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

78 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

77 Answers, 36 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums