> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Medical Malpractice > Can you sue your doctor for noticing a problem in your pregnancy and not doing anything about it resulting in stillbirth?

Can you sue your doctor for noticing a problem in your pregnancy and not doing anything about it resulting in stillbirth?

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 18th, 2013 on Medical Malpractice - South Carolina
More details to this question:
We went that Thursday and the doctor noticed the chord insert to the placenta was not right and that she wasn't growing. He said "if I felt like it were an emergency I would deliver right now, but I don't" but he never once mentioned anything about taking it easy, or bedrest, nor did he offer to put me in the hospital just to monitor her heart rate. We found out that Monday that she was dead. It just seems like he should have done SOMETHING and he didn't do anything. If he had me under his watch that weekend this all could have been prevented. However, it resulted in the loss of our daughter. Also, the specialist I was referred too (because my OB suspected Down syndrome) and my OB doctor had two different due dates all though I told them that they didn't match in previous appointments.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:07 AM

It is possible that you may have a claim against the doctor, hospital, etc, if what the doctor did was not the standard of care for the problem he saw with the placenta.  It would depend on what other OB doctors would do in your specific case.  Also, you mentioned a specialist that you saw.  It would be important to know what kind of specialist you saw, and whether that specialist saw the same problem with your placenta, and what they recommended if anything.  That might take some research, and will definitely mean getting another OB doctor to say that what your doctor did was malpractice.  The only way to know for sure is to consult with a lawyer, and have the lawyer start investigating the case for you.  

Report Abuse
Medical Malpractice
Have you been injured as a result of a doctor, nurse or other healthcare provider's mistake, misdiagnosis or professional negligence? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries under your state's medical malpractice and personal injury laws. Medical malpractice claims can arise from a doctor's failure to diagnose a health condition, misdiagnosis, medication error, negligent behavior or mistake during childbirth that causes birth defects. Medical malpractice attorneys can review your medical records and help determine whether your have grounds for a lawsuit. If appropriate, your lawyers can file a lawsuit, attempt to negotiate a settlement on your behalf and represent you during trial, if a settlement can't be reached.
Have an Medical Malpractice Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

181 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums